Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday

I posted these pics way back when I first put my crafty space together. I wanted to share them again because I think they fit the vintage thingies theme nicely.

The atomic style clock I bought at the salvation army for $1.25. Yes, I said $1.25! At the time it was gold and rusty, but it ran! A coat of black spray pint fixed her right up and she keeps perfect time. It's one of my favorite vintage thingies!

The adorable little bird is a bank. Notice anything unusual about him? That's right! His head is an orange! He's a Florida Orange Bird...it says so right on the back of his head. I remember seeing these little guys when the family used to go on vacation in Florida back in the 70's/early 80's. I specifically remember one rest stop right as we'd get into Florida where you could get free cups of orange juice and buy Florida Orange Bird souvenirs.

Mark picked this one up at a yard sale to put on ebay. I would hear nothing of it!

More vintage thingies here!

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Your atomic clock was quite the bargain ( I love it) and the orange bird is cute.
I love the picture on your header. Is it from a vintage ad?

Unknown said...

I remember the FL Orange Bird! Besides the orange for a head, it seems he has no wings.

Coloradolady said...

That little bird is adorable...I agree with you. No way would I have sold it. Very nice post....love your clock too. I remember those.

Anonymous said...

That Atomic clock sure brings back memories! The orange head duck is so darn cute!!

grace said...

I LOVE that clock. What a great score.

threesidesofcrazy said...

My grandparents had one of those atomic clocks! Maybe you bought theirs. And I remember that bird bank. I wonder where mine is?

Anonymous said...

OMG LOVE THE CLOCK!

I have been searching for ages for one of those......I am so jealous!

peace
#2

Miri said...

Oh I love the atomic clock. The orange bird bank is too cute.

Anonymous said...

Interesting vintage stuff. I remember when clocks like this were popular. The orange reminded me of the Big Orange places along the highway up through California in the 50s I think they were called Giant Orange. They were little buildings shaped like oranges where you could stop and get some cold orange juice. We stopped at everyone we came to because we didn't have air conditioning in the cars in those days and we were thirsty all the way from southern California to central Cal.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

What a delightful little birdie!
My mother had one of those atomic clocks in her and my fathers first apt together. I've a picture of them in the living room drinking coffee with friends; clock overhead.
I just love Vintage Thursdays!

stacey said...

New to your blog~ I love it!

$1.25 THATS CRAZY~ that clock is great!!!

JEWELGIRL said...

Great price on that atomic clock and fits the vintage theme perfect!
The orange bird is cute and I
definitely thought of Florida when
I first saw it!

Diane said...

That clock is such an amazing graphic piece... and such a bargain to boot! Congrats on the find.

The Essess said...

I love the clock also and I'm very excited to hear you only paid $1.25! I love a bargain.

Anonymous said...

That atomic clock is FAB...I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome clock, dude!!!
I love your style!