Monday, January 8, 2007

Fatties, Baked TorTILLAS and Melty Mush

There are several explanations for my lack of posts lately. 1. I’m lazy 2. I haven’t cooked anything in about a week(lazy) 3.We have CRAPPY dial up and it takes forever to log on to blogger, much less post and add pictures, which I like to do with my "experiments". Don’t quite get the full effect of the food w/o pics. Up till now I’ve been loading them from work on the weekends or after work, but I don’t particularly dig staying at work any longer than necessary. So check back later and maybe there will be some pictures of my food adventures posted. And a final reason is that I’m not sure how to proceed with the cooking.

I have decided to start following weight watchers again and I’m afraid foods like cornbread, mac and cheese, fried chicken and the like will get me into some trouble. "Why not try healthy recipes?" you ask. Since the only vegetables I enjoy are the white and yellow ones, I don’t really see that happening. But I'll think about it.

After spending several months mocking and making fun of the fatties on biggest loser, I realized while watching the finale that I now weigh more than those same fatties I’d been laughing at! Shame on me…not really, it was extremely enjoyable and often the highlight of the week. I miss the fatties! Anyway, after much thought and a month to pig out over the Holidays, I’ve decided to give WW another try lest I reach Hutt-esque proportions.

Speaking of the big fatties, I just bought the BL2 workout dvd and I've been trying work out with it daily. I think I like it, but I prefer the first installment. Tonight I decided to be a bit adventurous and try the men’s cardio workout with Bob. Why? I don’t know. Maybe ‘cause I get a real kick out of just listening to goofy Bob and since he doesn’t do the women’s workouts, I thought I’d give it a shot. The segment was only ten minutes long and I thought I would surely be able to keep up with THOSE guys (dvd was filmed while they were still relatively fat). WRONG! BIG MISTAKE!! We got to something called a divebomber and I finally had to just stop. Ten minutes of pure agony! That workout was NOT meant for girls and I won’t be making that mistake again!

It appears that I have rambled off my culinary track, so I'll get back to it.

Baked Tortilla Chips:
OK, I lied...I have done a wee bit of cooking…if you can call it that. These are pretty darn good if I do say so myself. The trick is to make sure they get good and done and eat them while they are still warm. They have a big, thick crunch (which I like)…so they aren’t like the ones they make at El Bracero, but they are a healthy alternative…

Stack up anywhere between 3-6 6inch corn tortillas(or more if you'd like). I used Pepitos--they are only 90calories & one gram of fat per two tortillas. Cut into 6-8 wedges depending on how big you like your chips. Toss with a SMALL amount of olive oil and then sprinkle on Lawry’s Season Salt and Chili Seasoning and toss it all once more. Lay out a baking sheet and bake for 10 min. Turn and bake until crunchy (about another 3-4min.) You’ll know if you get one that isn’t done…they are chewy and not delicious.

Mark and I have been eating these like crazy w/corn and black bean salsa. Yummy. I’ve also added pepper to give it a different flavor…equally yummy.

Strawberry Sorbet
I thought this would be good. It was a combination of frozen strawberries, orange juice and vanilla extract that was SUPPOSED to mix together to form a fruity and delicious sorbet. It was, to use my own phrase…bleckhy! Sour and mushy and not at all what I was hoping for, but Mark thought it was really good. I think part of the problem was my lack of a food processor. I used a mixer and it didn’t want to mix, instead, it basically melted while I tried a lot of smashing w/a plastic spatula. Now the picture of the finished product looked icy and was scooped out like ice cream...I got melty mush. I don’t know what the problem was, really, but maybe someone else can try it out.… I’ll gladly forward the recipe. Maybe I DO know what the problem was. It wasn’t ice cream and I do loves me some ice cream!

Now that I’ve caught up the blog, exercised and finished a load of laundry, I think I’ll park my rear on the couch and settle in for a night of 24. Shea just loaned me his season one box and I am anxious to get started watching it. He gave me LOST and I got totally and completely hooked on that(so much fun to watch), so I have high hopes for 24!

No comments: