Monday, November 1, 2010

Flea Market Finds and a Creepy Cymbal Playing Chimpanzee Freak

This past weekend we hit up one of our favorite local flea markets. Normally, I take my camera along and photograph things that make me smile, laugh, or want to run in the other direction.

One of those flea market field trips is here, and yet another can be found here.

This time around, I just wasn't feelin' it. It may have been that I was preoccupied with  getting my Halloween drops done for The Toy Society. It could also have been because my hands were too busy shoving hot, fresh caramel corn and roasted ears of corn on the cob into my face to take photos. Or perhaps it was because there was sooo much vintage goodness to be had that I just didn't think to grab the camera.

...except for when I decided to document this. I know I'm usually going to run across one at some point, but they still scare the crap out of me.  [[Shudder]]

Now that that's out of the way, I'll share some of the non-terrifying goodies that I managed to snag.

Mark bought this adorable ceramic/chalk(?) Scottie bank for me. I love this shade of green!

 We realized once we got it home that the lid doesn't really go w/this cookie jar. But no worries. It was only 3 bucks and looks cute over the kitchen counters.

I searched and searched through a large pile of vintage towel calendars for 1968. No luck. BUT I couldn't pass up these fun designs. I love the color combo on the barn. These may end up being tote bags.

Lovely vintage full apron for $2.00!

Just in case the city of Mad'ville ever hosts a Gatsby Summer Afternoon event, I snagged this hat for a dollar. Too bad it looks ridiculous on my extra large noggin. Sigh.

I thought these were so fun! Published in '59 & '60 and a whopping $.50 each!

Vintage coloring books from the 1960's.

First ever purchase of vintage hankies. I plan to use them as apron pockets or incorporate them into bags. I feel a new obsession coming on.

I LOVE this patchwork dog!  There's a pattern for one very similar on Denyse Schmidt's website if you are so inclined to make your own. My little guy is completely hand stitched and I believe there are several feedsack fabrics. He(and the doll) will be the newest residents in my school library. The little doll tells the story of Little Red riding hood. Her dress flips up to reveal each character & his/her part in the story. Check back for more pics of her on Vintage Thingies Thursday.

This tablecloth was my favorite find of the day at a mere 5 bucks! And yeah, I can see that it needs ironing. I'll do that later...really.

It was a great day...I finally got to spend a Saturday with Mark, the weather was gorgeous, my grand total was right around 30 bucks and I had my fill of caramel corn!  We finished off the day with a late lunch at Panera Bread and a Big Biting Pig Halloween-A-Thon. Nope, not a bad day at all!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh such wonderful finds! One of those cloth calenders is from 1975. Yours Truly was born that year. :) That's cool. stuff. One day I'll have to hit up the Greenville Flea Market. I wonder, do they even still have it? and which flea market did you visit? Is it open every weekend? Curious minds wanna know. :)

mab said...

I love the red riding hood doll! I had one as a kid and loved how it was a book + a dolly. (My two favorite things.)

Great finds! I'm quite jealous. We moved to a new city 2 years ago and I still haven't found any decent flea markets or thrift shops.... sigh...