Monday, February 15, 2010

Snowy Sewing Projects

We've had a lot of snow days this winter. As a member of the school teaching staff, I can tell you that the adults in the building get just as excited as the kids do! At least for the first few snow days. Now, we're to the point that it's cutting into our Summer just a bit too much and we are ready for the snow to stop!

Secretly, though, I hate getting out in cold weather and I love a good snow day. And I love spending snow days gettin' my craft on! I have spent these last few rounds of snow days sewing. I've made two quilt tops and two bags. However, today(yes, it's ANOTHER snow day today) my project du jour is laundry. But if the laundry gets done early enough, I'm firing up the ole Kenmore.

But before I tackle that hellish nightmare that is my laundry room, I thought I'd share the two bags that I made on previous snow days.
I made this purse using fabrics from JoAnn Fabrics. I'm pretty please with the outcome, but I'll tell ya...it took HOURS! Lots of seam ripping and fussy sewing with this one. I plan to give it another go, but there are some things that I intend to change around in the pattern to make it easier for me to sew and there are a few cosmetic things that I might fiddle with. But I do like it and it's gotten me many compliments!

And during the snow days we had last week, I made this purse. I started out thinking I would use one of the patterns from The New Handmade, but ended up doing my own thing. I used a charm pack of the gorgeous Nicey Jane fabrics from Heather Bailey for the outside of the purse. Something about these fabrics say "vintage sheets" to me and since I couldn't find anything in my stash that I like for a lining, I used a vintage sheet to line the bag. It's not perfect, but I LOVE it, but I'm going to save it to carry this Spring and Summer.

No comments: