Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jelly Roll 1600!

I saw this video on another blog a while back and thought it looked like such a fun project!



Before I begin on an I-Spy quilt for my nephew, I think I'm going to try one of these. It looks like it doesn't require much thought, planning, or precise cutting.  I am SO ready for this type of project.

A fun guild activity, this would be a good project for beginning quilters too...not really much to have to worry about matching and using the one jelly roll would avoid a lot of fabric confusion! Nearly every shop sells them and there are a bazillion available on etsy and other online shops.

The instructions for making a Jelly Roll 1600 and photos of more finished Jelly Roll 1600s can be found on the Heirloom Creations Blog. There are even more photos of JR1600's over at Nacho Mama's Quilt.

The only thing I plan to do differently is use small strips to join the rows rather than joining them on the bias. I get no joy whatsoever out of joining strips on the bais, hence the plan to use strips.

I'll be using this batik jelly roll that I bought at JoAnn Fabrics. I love batik fabrics, but I generally can't afford them. This one was on sale at JoAnn's about three years ago and I had a gift card. It's a little sad that it sat in my closet for three years waiting to be used. I'm happy to have finally found a project to put it to good use!

3 comments:

Barb said...

I love batiks.....these are gorgeous!

Pétra said...

I love the jazzy music and it would be fun to do at a guild meeting!

Britt Lauren said...

Wow, they look really good, especially for the little time they had to do them. I like the fabric that you have, at least you found something to use the fabric for. That is a really cool project!!