Saturday, February 16, 2008

I am not cut out for roughing it.

STILL no power at home. It's been five days now, ya'll! My poor kitties are freezing their furry little behinds off. We do check on them daily, though.

Thursday night we got the bright idea to try and stay at home with a kerosene heater for warmth. We left the comfort of my parent's home and got back to our house around 7p.m., fumbled through the dark trying to locate flashlights and get candles lit so we could crank up the heater. Once the heater was running and after a dinner of Oreos and Coke(when all the food in the fridge is ruined, whatcha gonna do BUT eat Oreos?) we thought we would be in for a cozy night at home. Standing near the heater, it was heavenly, the warmest, snuggliest air was circulating around us. However, once we moved three feet away from it our teeth instantly began to chatter. Still, we figured it would eventually heat our bedroom to a nice sleeping temperature and we could turn it off, sleep under a mountain of blankets and be only mildly uncomfortable during the night. After a while, you just want to be home, you know. Well, we made it till about 10:30. Despite the heater and the mountain of blankets, our house was like an igloo. We called my mother-in-law and spent the rest of the night at her house. I have once again realized that I am not the "roughing it" type. We will not be attempting to stay at home until the electricity is back on and we have some heat! Looks like it could be Monday before we are able.

Today I have my Block of the Month meeting. I had planned on working on it this week and then, whoops, no electricity= no sewing. Mind you, I had a MONTH to get it done, but I wait till the last minute for everything. This means I was up till 1:00a.m. this morning finishing my block. Mom has a nice new Singer sewing machine and is far more skilled at sewing than I, so it worked out well that I had to get it done here. She helped me get it squared up and looking good. Thanks Mom! Initially, I wasn't thrilled with the fabric selection I chose for my kits, but now that I have one block done, I think I'm going to like it! This is called Chain Link and I'll find out today what the next block will be.
My apron arrived from the Sassy Apron Swap! It is lovely! I will be showing it off, so stay tuned!

Yesterday afternoon, Mom and I headed out to JoAnn's and I added to my already overrun fabric stash with some fun fabrics for aprons to go into my still empty Etsy shop. Chickens and cherries and dishes, Oh my!


****12:30p.m. update**** We have electricity back! Woo Hoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I can't believe you went five days without electricity!! Makes me want to invest in a butane heater!! poor girl.
Glad it's back on now and you're all warm and toasty.
Your block is lovely and I can't wait to see your new apron and fabric!

Bonnie O. said...

You poor thing! Was this because of the snow / ice storm last Tuesday? I'm glad to hear you're back in action again.

Anonymous said...

Oh I like this pattern and the fabrics look great. You will be a quilter in no time.xx