Saturday, June 5, 2010

Goin' to Jockey

It's been a while since our last trip to a flea market, hasn't it? Now that summer is right around the corner, I think it's the perfect time! In the summer months, this flea market, also known as Jockey, is held every Tuesday morning in the buzzing metropolis of Greenville, Ky. It has been for as long as I can remember. As a kid I went to Jockey with my Aunt Rosemary and my cousins Keely and Sandy a time or two. We'd eat junk food and wander around the grounds(being silly, no doubt). I'd marvel at all the junk, not to mention the goats, chickens, ducks, and other small animals that were sold and traded. This was before my love of all things vintage kicked in, mind you, and I can't help but wonder what kind of wonderful treasures I walked right past back in the mid 70's and early 80's that I'd be drooling over today.

Over Memorial Day weekend, Mark and I hit up the Greenville flea market, er, Jockey. It was uber hot so I lost interest in taking photos after the first 30min. or so! But I do have a few to share. So, let's see what they've got today...Is it just me, or does something evil seem to be lurking behind those eyes?Favorite photo of the day.
You can't really see them in the photo but there were also GOONIES , GREMLINS and PAC MAN lunchboxes! Ridiculously expensive, however.
That little tiger...I wanted it....badly. And that Little People A Frame house? Totally had one.Wondering if the vendor meant to be funny by putting the elephant on the scale...it tickled me.I'm strangely drawn to rusty old junk like this. Apparently ET will talk to you when you get close enough. Thank the Lord his batteries were dead.This was actually pretty darn cool...can someone convince my husband to clean out our garage and fill the walls with these old signs?More rusty junk.Mark haggling with a vendor.This quilt was lovely....as was everything in this little booth.
Only at Jockey. What's sad is that someone probably used this cookbook. blech.
And even more rusty old junk. En Masse.

I bought several things. Two sets of vintage pillowcases, a set of vintage sheets, two vintage aprons, some pin up girl playing cards from 1955--they've been mailed to a swap partner, so no photo. I did take photos of two of my favorite finds of the day.

This lovely little candy dish.
And this fabulous picnic set for which I will be making matching placemats and napkins! Perhaps we'll have a picnic on our next flea market outing!

And that concludes our trip to Jockey, folks. Hope you had a good time and will come back and join me for my next flea market adventure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$5 for a road kill cooking book? You have GOT to be kidding me. As appealing as the cover photo IS it's a bit much.
People hae clicked to the demand for retro stuff (like the lunchboxes etc) and price accordingly but part of the charm has always been the low price for a bargain.

Mare said...

Should I be scared that I really, really want the roadkill cookbook? Seriously. How hilarious would that be as a coffee table book? Must have. LOL

Yarni Gras! said...

cute, I used to LOVE the Archies. I think I read every comic book they ever made!

Unknown said...

hi dear ur post is so good it is help ful for eveydody
placemats and napkins