Tuesday, January 4, 2011

She Cooks! OK, it was just Campbell's Macaroni and Cheese, but She Cooks!

I  don't know when I last posted a recipe. In fact I had been thinking of changing the name of this blog to something along the lines of And She Can't Even Step Foot Into The Kitchen! due to my lack of cooking related posts. After all, this blog started out as my adventures learning to cook.  OK, so I still can't cook, not really, but since I decided to stop hating my body, I've also decided it's time to fill it with real food...things other than cereal, cookies and fast food.

Now, y'all try not to scoff too much at my choice of recipe here, but I made Mac & Cheese, from a can of soup. I know, I know, it's not exactly health food. But you know what, it's not cereal, it's not cookies, and it's not fast food...so it's OK! And besides, I did use whole wheat blend pasta and 1%milk.  Anyway it's not like I'm not gonna eat the entire casserole dish full in one sitting! Maybe. I figure if I take the time to cook it, it has actual ingredients like milk, cheese, and pasta, it's not that bad.

So here's the recipe:

I clearly used waaay more breadcrumb mixture than the recipe called for.

Ingredients

  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
  • 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups hot cooked corkscrew-shaped pasta or shell-shaped pasta
  • 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
  • 2 teaspoons butter or margarine


Directions

  1. Mix soup, milk, black pepper and pasta in 1-qt. baking dish.
  2. Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over pasta mixture.
  3. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 min. or until hot.

I liked it. Nice and creamy--good texture. The flavor was a bit bland, however. Maybe adding some additional sharp cheddar cheese or some garlic powder or some other seasoning would liven it up. Still, it's pretty good, not to mention super-duper quick and easy to throw together.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I have an awesome baked mac-n-cheese recipe if you want it. There's even a "lighter" version for those of us trying to keep our girlish figures.