Sunday, January 4, 2009

Don't Toy With Me

In my excitement over joining The Toy Society, I decided I should probably try my hand at toymaking once again.

I call this little fellow Puppy-Pain-In-The-Butt. I didn't think it was all that difficult until I started stuffing him. The more I stuffed, the worse he looked! He is supposed to be standing, not squating and don't even get me started on the pipe cleaners that ended up all wadded in his ears! I would love to know if anyone else at there has tried(or is willing to try) this pattern and let me how it turned out. I don't know that I have the patience to try it again! Still there is something about him...Next, I went for something that I thought might be a bit easier. And it was...only two pattern pieces. This pattern is McCall's 6907. He's OK, but I think a fluffier, furrier fabric would have been more suited. I used a fuzzy felt(not wool felt, can't afford it)and it sheds like crazy, makes the weird crease in his forehead(that I can figure out the reason for) show up too much and again, it's not fluffy enough for a teddy bear! Still, he is kinda cute. Finally, I gave up on patterns completely and just made a monster. I drew him on the felt and started cutting. He's my favorite of this lot and the one that might be good enough for the Toy Society. I think the reason I'm happiest w/this one is there was no pattern to follow and nothing for me to judge myself against. So even if he's a tad on the wonky side I can say he's supposed to look like that! I'll call him Lars....I think he's got a bit of Scandinavian heritage in there somewhere. That's a pompadour on his head, not a bow...although a girlie monster might be kinda fun too!

My next toy project: Wee Wonderfuls Spaceboy & Robot.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of these toys are cute, and I think the puppy looks great. I love the bright colors. I'm impressed with your monster, too!

Yarni Gras! said...

I think the puppy is perfect! The other toys are great and yes, the monster is monsterific! I like just making 'stuff' without patterns too...for the same reason. They are all wonderful and would most definitely be loved!

Mel said...

I think the puppy is great. Your bear, too. I think all of them would make good Toy Society drops.

The Shabby Princess said...

Oh, they are so cute! I love the puppy!!

Shell said...

I had a great idea to make a tooth for the tooth fairy! Bad idea, it looked like a root canal gone wrong. I just trashed it.

Shell said...

I had a great idea to make a tooth for the tooth fairy! Bad idea, it looked like a root canal gone wrong. I just trashed it.

Anonymous said...

They are ALL wonderful.
But I absolutely adore Lars. He has your touch.

jfn Photography said...

SO CUTE! So, I'm starting to think that I really need to have a baby so you can make totally cute fun stuff for it to play with/wear/what have you. Then again...that's kind of an irrational way to decide on having a baby...so it'll probably be a couple more years...I at least gotta get a LITTLE school in first. :)