Monday, May 14, 2007

Peanut Butter Goo Bars

Although I'm not much of a cook, I usually do pretty good when it comes to baking and making goodies. That's why I was sooooo mad at myself when I went to make these WONDERFUL bars to send to Jackie & Scott. I made them once before and they turned out incredibly, if not dangerously, delicious. This time, the middle of the bars were a gooey mess! Apparantly I did not cook them long enough and I didn't even think to check the inside for done-ness! I followed the recipe to a "T" and did everything that I did the first time around. But I do tend to get impatient and try to hurry things up, so undercooking was most likely my problem.

I am posting the recipe because I KNOW these things are yummy...just double check to make sure the cakey-brownish part is DONE before you proceed with the icing. I did manage to salvage the outer edges, so was not a total loss.

On the WW front...I was bad this weekend. Bad. It was Shea's birthday and Mother's Day and yet I'm the one who partied (w/food) like it was 1999! Gained two pounds! ack!

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
1c. butter or margarine, softened
1c. sugar
1c. brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2/3 c. creamy PB
1tsp. vanilla
2c. flour
2c. rolled oats
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Blend in eggs, PB, and vainilla. Add flour slowly, beating well after each addition. Add oatmeal. Mix well, mixture will be thick.

Back in lightly greased 13x9" pan for 20-25min. (or in my case, until done). Don't leave too long or bars become hard as they cool.

Remove from oven and sprinkle w/one bag milk chocolate chips. When chips have melted, spread evenly over cake. Let cake stand for about 20min. and spread frosting over cake.

Frosting
1c. creamy peanut butter
1c. powdered sugar
little milk (about 10 tsp)

Mix sugar and PB togher then add mil a spoonful at a time. Frosting should be thick but spread-able. Gently spread over warm cake, covering chocolate.

**Spreading the frosting is a little tricky. Sandra(this is her recipe) says to lay the frosting down the middle of the cake and spread outward w/two spoons. I layed little blobs of frosting down and tried to spread those out. Hers are much prettier than mine, but when done correctly, these things are incredible if you like chocolate/peanut butter combos.

No comments: