Sunday, July 15, 2007

Diet Coke Cookies?

I learned earlier this year that if you add a can of diet cola to a box of cake mix (nothing else, just the cola) you get a nice, moist, low in WW points cake. It is both yummy and fairly diet friendly. Mark loves 'em since there are no dairy products involved.

While going through the stack of recipes clipped from newspapers that Dad has lent me for my cookbook, I came a cross a Cake Mix Cookie from Heloise.
  • For those cookies you mix together 1 box of cake mix, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 2 large eggs. Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake 8-10 min. Haven't tried it, but I'm sure they are good.
That recipe got me to thinking about the Diet Coke cake. I decided if you can make a cake with just a can of pop, that maybe cookies would work as well. Turns out they do! Here's what I did.
  • Added to one box of cake mix (I used chocolate) enough diet cola to get to what I thought might be a cookie dough consistency. Probably should have measured that. Sorry.
  • Roll into small balls. Warning: A sticky, gooey chocolate mess will cover your hands. Maybe some powdered sugar on your hands would prevent this????
  • Bake about 8-10 min., (change this depending on how chewy or crunchy you like your cookies.)
The inside was chewy, almost brownie-like. Outside was a touch crunchy. NOT bad at all. Mark devoured them in record time and while they were still warm I ate my fair share. I figured the WW points on these little guys to be about 1 point per cookie.

As far as cooking goes, that's the only new thing I've tried since the Poppy Seed Chicken, other than some skillet hash browns in a box earlier today. Those won't be making a return engagement at our house. Blech.

Tune in a little later for an update on what's been happening in my new crafty space!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, but did they taste like cola? I'm looking for a cookie that tastes like cola.

Anonymous said...

I just used 4 oz of cherry coke with a white cake mix and it's delicious! The flavor is subtle though, if you want a stronger cola flavor you could add a few drops of cola candy flavoring to the mix.

Anonymous said...

Using a cookie scoop eliminates the mess on the hands!