Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cowboy Caviar

...also alled Texas Caviar, also called Poor Man's Caviar. This is my version of the recipe...we've just been calling it bean dip around here. Call it what you wish, this stuff is good!



Here's what you need:
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cans Rotel( I use one mild, one chili-lime)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 to 1 tbs minced garlic
juice from 1/2 lime or lime juice to taste
chili powder, salt, pepper to taste



Here's what you do:
Mix it all together in a big bowl and let it sit overnight for the flavors to combine. We like it best w/Tostitos JalapeƱo Scoops or homemade tortilla chips.

For the homemade chips, just slice a few corn tortillas into your preferred chip shape, sprinkle w/chili powder and salt or Lawry's. I usually spray my cookie sheet w/olive oil spray and bake @ 400 for 10min. or so, untill crunchy.

I've made it twice now and I think the lime juice makes all the difference...second batch didn't have any and it wasn't quite as good. I also think it's better when at room temp rather than right out of the fridge.

There's lots of room to play w/this recipe, fresh tomatoes & chilis vs. the Rotel, addition of red, yellow peppers, more Italian dressing, etc. Would love to hear how it turns out if you try it!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

thanks so much for the recipe...can't wait to try it!

Birdie said...

Looks like YUM to me!