Monday, December 29, 2008

The Toy Society

I happened upon Odd Dotty Dollymaker earlier today and read a post about a Christmas project the blog author was involved in. I was immediately smitten by the idea of The Toy Society. And Odd Dotty's dolls are beautiful, by the way.

The Toy Society began as a street art project by a toy artist and blogger in Melbourne Australia. In the words of the originator:
It came about from a love of "street art" but a recognition of my lack of artistic skills. I really wanted to contribute something to the street scape. I'd watched a friend put his work up about the place and got such a buzz walking past random walls in the city and seeing his work. I thought maybe I could sew something instead. And so The Toy Society was born.

I planned to leave toys around the streets to brighten up the place and give people something interesting to look at. And then I imagined what they might look like if they were still sitting on a light pole 5 weeks after they were put up...all faded and manky and rotten. So I thought I should invite people to take them home, share the love and all that.
What a way to spread joy & happiness around the world! And yes, the project has spread from Melbourne and toys are finding homes and spreading love all around the globe.

All it took was me reading this letter from a woman who found one of the toys to know that I wanted to be involved.

I wish I had been aware of this project before the Christmas Drop, but I'm still so eager to get started on a toy! I have only made three toys(successfully) since I started sewing. These, this one and this one, so this will be a challenge for me, but I am SO ready for it!

Want to know more? You should head on over to The Toy Society. Be prepared for a big dose of happiness while you're there!

2 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

Hey! Ive been wanting to do this too...ever since I stumbled onto their site. Maybe we could back each other up or set dates or something...?

Birdie said...

Love monster & Mr Ozzy! I do the Toy Society only I made my own because I liked mine better *L* I dropped one off and checked on it. It was gone and that was fun! No one registered it though.