Monday, November 19, 2007

Handmade for Christmas?

I realize that Christmas is only a few weeks away. Still, I am toying with the idea of giving handmade gifts this year. Realistically I don't know that I can get it done, but in theory, it's a good idea. Or is it? I'm not exactly skilled as a seamstress. Still, I think I can probably do a gift-worthy job(depending on what I make) So my next thought is what in the world do I make? I've already given my sister something like four aprons. I can never have enough aprons, personally, but she and my mom will probably eventually tire of them if they haven't already. So, what to make? Then there are the men. These are the ones that really baffle me. I don't have a clue what to sew for a man, especially my Dad. There are no little ones in the family yet, so don't have to worry about that one!

I really wanted to make an apron for each of my girlfriends for Christmas. And I had a really cute idea for a lunch tote. But the closer it gets, the more I'm afraid they'll think handmade= homemade=lame. Is it lame? I don't think so but then again their tastes and mine are all so different. If I did make something for them, I know they would be totally gracious and sweet about it, but I don't want them secretly wondering why I didn't just go buy some Bath and Body Works(and who doesn't love Bath & Body Works?)And honestly, if I don't make up my mind to do it and get started that's what EVERYONE is getting anyway. What to do, what to do?

Ya'll help me out here...What are your thoughts on handmade gifts? Do you like to receive them? Do you like to give them? Is it too close to Christmas for me to even worry about it this year?

**11/20 Update: I had actually decided to make one gift before this post and I'm officially halfway through that one...can't post a pic 'cause that person might see this...you never know.

5 comments:

Monique said...

That's a really tough question, and I worry too about giving homemade gifts. I would love receiving homemade gifts, being into making things myself I realize the time, effort and love that goes into making them. So if you think the recipients are the kind of people who would appreciate everything that goes into it then by all means, do it! If they aren't, then maybe make a homemade gift bag, packaging etc and fill it with things they will love.

As for if you have time... that depends on what you make and how much time you have to spend on it. :-) HTH! Happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

I'm right at the spot you are at, is there enough time, what to make each person?
My family would be "will they like handmade?"
I made my Dad his own coasters with "Dad" on them for Father's Day. I'm thinking of a toiletry bag for him and his girlfriend.
I've quickly whipped up a little wrist bag tonight, so that may be the idea I have for my neices.
Good luck.....

Kellie said...

Thanks for your input, girls. A day later and I'm still deciding!

I absolutely love Monique's idea about making the gift bag myself. It could double as a lunch tote, make-up bag, etc.

Coasters are a great idea as well. My dad is the hardest person in the entire world to shop for. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I think handmade gifts are a great idea. If you are still trying to decide what to make, you might want to check out Handmade Holidays over at Sew, Mama, Sew!... they have lots of suggestions and links to tutorials.

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I'm doing homemade for my kids because money is an issue for us this year. But my dad and brother are tough to do homemade for. I'm thinking a photo calendar from Snapfish?? It's still homemade, but not all feminized. It's tough to make stuff for guys, unless you knit them a scarf or something. I love the gift basket idea shared by Monique. I've just decided that I give what I can afford, and they'll just learn to get happy with it! Bah Humbug! ;-)