Friday, September 26, 2008

Flashback Friday

To say I was a fan of Duran Duran when I was a teenager would be an understatement.

I was CRAZY for Duran Duran.

I had every record(make that cassette) they made and listened to them constantly. If I watched the HBO (or was it Showtime?) concert once, I watched it a zillion times. My dad recorded it for me on our gigantic VCR player in 1984. I knew every dance move Simon was going to make, could play air guitar right along with JT, knew every word the guys said between songs and of course every word in every song. BTW, my awesome and most excellent brother bought me the concert CD for my birthday a few years back. I've watched it...ahem...more than once.

One of my favorites...


In 2005 I got the opportunity to see Duran Duran in concert in Indianapolis. I jumped, and I mean jumped, at the chance. My friend Trish and I made the five hour drive to and from Indy in a giddy stupor. It was a night I will never forget and quite possibly the most fun concert I've attended to date.

I'm not kidding y'all...it was like being 14 all over again! I think I actually regressed into my teenage self that night. I screamed and sang loudly and danced and acted like a teenage girl and didn't care who looked at me or if they thought I was an idiot or not. And I don't normally act like that when people are watching. Giddy and goofy doesn't even begin to describe it. It was so. much. fun.

The band was as great as ever. They sang a couple songs from the album Astronaut which was their newest release at the time, but mostly stuck to the oldies. The crowd loved it! I wasn't the only one screaming, just so you know. And yes, the boys were just as striking and handsome as they were 20+ years ago...except Andy Taylor who I always thought was the ugly one. Simon LeBon, swoonworthy as ever. I so wanted to marry him when I was a teenager.

I found this short clip from the Indy concert...not the greatest sound quality, but still. Listen carefully and I'll bet you'll hear me screaming.

5 comments:

Patty said...

Yeah, Andy was the ugly one. I had the hots for John Taylor and still do. I saw them back in the 90's and I swear it was like being at a Beatles show because of all the teenaged girls screaming and crying. Now I have the urge to whip out my Duran Duran cassettes. :) Great flashback, Kellie!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I loved Duran Duran too! We saw them in concern in the 90's (probably around 1994, I think) at Purdue University when I was in high school. Ha -- not too far from where you saw them, just a different tour! The opening act was James, whom I also love. (Though I didn't know that I loved them at the time. I was convinced that I loved their set even more than Duran Duran's.)

Birdie said...

I'm on a hunt down after you *L* Weren't they the ones with the band shirts that were white with the huge, florescent letters? Remember florescent?? Oh how I HAD to have it!
I liked bands & stuff but I was ruined on Elvis. This was fun!

Yarni Gras! said...

they all had great hair back then..........loved that band! :-)

whhhhhhhy don't you use it? Trryyyyyyyy not to bruise it.........
whwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhy!

Anonymous said...

Mmm hmm. Loves me some Duran Duran.
I just couldn't get past the heavy make up they had on at times.