Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Scored Potatoes and a Weird Giant Waistband


First things first. I cooked this week! Tried a new recipe called Scored Potatoes. Quite Tasty and easy enough that I was able to cook them successfully! This one is going in the cookbook. And I'm going to use it as my first Tales from the Scales recipe swap!

Scored Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes
2 tbs. melted butter, divided
1/8 tsp. paprika
1 tbs. minced fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Slice each half widthwise six time, but not all the way through. Fan potatoes slightly. Place in a shallow baking dish. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika, parsley, salt and pepper.

Bake uncovered at 350ยบ for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drizzle with remaining butter.

My changes: The recipe said bake for 50min., but I only cooked one potato and it took a little over an hour until it was done enough for me. I don't have fresh parsley laying around the house so I rounded up all the shakers of green things from the pantry and settled on oregano instead and it was fine. And for the heck of it, I went a bit crazy on the scoring...more like ten times!

I figure these are pretty WW friendly since they aren't loaded down with butter. One half of a potato is a serving and I figured that right around two points with the amount of butter I used (1 tbs. total).
_________________________________________________________________

For those of you who are keeping up with my sewing.... Yesterday I tried a half apron. Good grief! It was SO hard. Well, parts of it were SO hard and it doesn't look the way I hoped it would. Yes, I want everything to be done right and look perfect and I get really cheesed off and frustrated when it doesn't and I'll spend hours stewing over things I did wrong rather than being pleased with what I did right. Shea knows 'zactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the apron I attempted to sew is the one on the upper right corner all cute with red cherries and gingham. I used fabric off the dollar table at WalMart, which may have contributed to some of my frustrations. But I don't want to buy a bunch of expensive fabric when I'm just learning! Getting the pocket made and put on nearly drove me insane and MY apron ended up having this giant flippy-flappy-flopping waistband. You have no idea how badly I wanted to rip it off and fix it, but I'm trying to remember that I'm learning.

No comments: