Saturday, October 20, 2007

Mississippi Mud

Mmmmmm! The mouth waters at the sound of the words, doesn't it? Or does it? I suppose if you hear "Mississippi Mud" and get an image of actual mud from the state of Mississippi your mouth might not water. But if, like me, you hear "Mississippi Mud" and think chocolate cake with gooey marshmallow and chocolatey pecan topping...you're probably going for a glass of milk right now!
This is my Aunt Rosemary. She makes Mississippi Mud nearly every Christmas and sometimes at Thanksgiving. I don't remember NOT having it at a family holiday dinner. It's my favorite thing she makes and it was always my favorite dessert at Mamaw's house on Christmas Eve. Oh heck ya'll it was always my favorite dish at the dinner, period....who am I trying to fool. Give me a choice between a plate piled high with delicious chicken and dumplings, pinto beans, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and homemade biscuits or a piece of this gooey goodness...I'll go for the goo every time. (Yeah, I know, my love of sweets is why I have to do a Tales from the Scales post once a week.) You can imagine how thrilled I was when Rosemary gave me her Mississippi Mud recipe for my cookbook! Thanks Rosemary! Love You!

This week I made a batch and took it to school. Rave Reviews! So I wanted to share it with all of you! As is unusual for me, I had all of the correct ingredients and did not stray from the recipe at all. Be warned: Cut small pieces and pour a big, cold glass of milk to go with!

Mississippi Mud
To 2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup margarine add 4 eggs, one at a time. Next,
add: 1 1/2 cups sifted flour, 1/3 cup cocoa, 3 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 cup nuts.
Mix and pour into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 300ยบ
30-35 minutes. While still hot, spread 1 small bag of mini
marshmallows over cake and bake 10 min. Let cool.

Mix 1 stick melted margarine
1 box powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 c. milk (more if needed to spread well)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. nuts
Mix and spread on cake and let set 3-4 hours

Also getting rave reviews were Edith's Chess Squares. I used the glass dish this time and they turned out just right!

No comments: