Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cookbook!

Here it is...my cookbook! I'm pretty proud of it! I love the cover...it's the same picture as my blog header, a vintage sour cream ad! The title, Kellie Cooks: A recipe collection including favorites from family & friends. The fun vintage illustrations came from "the home meal planner: a key to better meals". These were available on the heritage cookbook website and free for use, but I was lucky enough to find my own copy at a local antique mall. The illustrations worked perfectly for section dividers once I added my headings! Part of the fun in this whole project was being able to include photos and personalize it to suit my own needs and tastes! My main intent was to have a cookbook that would work for me, and that's what I got!
I sent emails and letters and generally bugged the crap out of people for recipes. They knew this was going to be a cookbook for me to use, and they all know of my cooking skills or lack thereof. My friends and family really came through for me! Thankfully, the recipes are relatively easy! No longer must I fear potlucks! And the food...things that I will actually eat! No crazy ingredients! Lots of chicken, potatoes and desserts. But hey! that's my kind of eatin'! There are even a few vegan recipes included for Mark and he was very happy about that! Of course, if I actually make those vegan dishes for him, I'm sure he'll be even more appreciative...once he picks himself up off the floor! I was able to add a few of my own recipes along with some that have been on my list to try. It's so convenient to have them all in one handy-dandy little book! In addition to those easy recipes I mentioned, there are special recipes from the people I love the most...my immediate and extended family, my closest friends. I won't lie, Mamaw Doris' Whole Wheat Rolls, aren't easy, but they are an icon of my childhood and not one person in the entire family doesn't smile and make yum-yum noises when they are mentioned! Having those recipes and others, like my Mama Lucille's carrot cake for instance, makes it more than just another cookbook!Thanks again to everyone who sent me a recipe(or several)! Actually, I got so many recipes that I wasn't able to put them all in! How's that for generosity? I hope you all know how much I truly appreciate it!Since it was ME who put this together after all, ya'll won't be surprised to learn that I managed to get at least one recipe in that was missing a step(Edith's Chess Squares). I thought I proofread thoroughly, but evidently not. It's possible that I'll discover a few more that are wrong, but nothing I can't pencil in and correct! I was disappointed when I realized that I somehow managed to leave out Grandma Doris' recipe for homemade noodles. They are delicious and deserve to be cooked and eaten...often! If you're even considering putting together a cookbook...and I'll bet you are...I cannot recommend heritagecookbook.com enough! The process was fun and easy easy easy! Susan, the head honcho, was very helpful and always friendly! If you are more organized than I, you can finish it up in the free 30 day trial membership period and pay only printing/shipping costs. Alright...I'm starting to sound like a commercial. Don't mean to, but I want to mention how thrilled I am with this company and I think they do offer an awesome service!I'd like to invite you all to leave your favorite simple recipes in my comments (anytime, anywhere) or leave links to your EASY, non-fussy ingredient recipes! For my friends who don't have a blog and I can't talk you into one(leave me floating around in cyberspace looking all friendless, why don'tcha!), you CAN leave comments & recipes! No one will ever know your true identity---so stop worrying about bad grammar and typos! You know who you are, girls and boys!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love collections of special recipes. That's a book you'll treasure forever. :)

Bird Stalker Photography said...

What a great recipe book! That is something I would love to do for christmas!

Anonymous said...

It looks great, so vintage. I think my mum had a cook book like it.
Can we purchase one or did they just publish one for you?

Ginny said...

That looks so cool! I love it :) I have to check out that website, I am a terrible cook, but that looks so cool!

Kellie said...

Thanks everyone! For a Christmas gift, this would be awesome! I only purchased enough for me, my parents, and my brother and sister. HOWEVER, several more people have asked for a copy. Sooo, I'm going to consider having a few more printed and if I do, I'll get extras and make them available here.

Ginny---I am a terrible cook too!! Which is why I wanted this kind of cookbook. I can call the person who sent me whatever recipe I'm failing miserably at and beg for help! :)

jrb said...

This is a great idea. For years I've been saying that I need to write down all of my Grandmother's recipes. Now I have a project for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

holly cow! it ready i want one how do i order? i never had my picture in a book before mom needs one too where did you find that picture? did you get the ones i sent you?

Anonymous said...

that looks so cool! I must make one of these for myself one day. It would be very thin of course.