Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Edith's Chess Squares

Funny that in my last post I was mentioning my weight gain and here I am minutes later talking about chess squares. I'm nonchalant like that.

Since this blog is supposed to be partially cooking related I wanted to let everyone know that YES, I have actually made some edible treats as of late. Not everything has been stitched or stuffed!

I've made several dishes that I've already blogged, so won't rehash those at the moment. BUT I did prepare some of the most delectable(if overly gooey) desert bars ever last week & the week before that; Ediths Chess Squares. My good friend Stacey gave me the recipe. I've had them several times when Stacey has made them and I swear time stands still when sink your teeth in. They are that good. As I mentioned, mine were gooey, both times. But did that stop me from taking them to family functions? NO. Did it stop my family from eating them? HECK no! I don't think anyone even talked while they were sampling...except for the occasional nearly incoherent comments made with our mouths full "Nish es Gooo!" and "MMM!...wa ush innis?" and you know, those noises you make when stuff tastes really good? Like "ahmahamaha! "?

I talked to Stacey about these bars today at work and she figured out my gooey problem. It was the pan. I was taking them to Mom's and wanted the ease of not having lug around and wash a dish so I baked them in a flimsy aluminum baking dish instead of the glass dish the recipe called for. I didn't think it would make a difference. When I got home tonight I checked my cookbook and realized, being the ditz that I am, I had left that part out when I put it in my now published Cookbook. Dangit! I don't know if I read it wrong, was trying to save space and left out a few words(which wouldn't make sense), if I just got in a hurry and skipped it or what! I guess I'll have to tell everyone who gets a copy to pencil that important detail in. I wonder how many more of my friend/family's recipes I screwed up in the cookbook process??

If you bake these, make sure you use a GLASS BAKING DISH. It's the secret to non-gooey bars. But I'm telling you this after telling you that...they were heavenly...despite my goof up and their gooeyness! HEAVENLY!

Edith's Chess Squares
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted

1 80z. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 box powdered sugar

Combine butter, cake mix and 1 egg in mixer bowl; mix well. Press
into 9x13 inch GLASS baking dish. Combine 2 eggs, confectioners' sugar and cream cheese in mixer bowl; mix until smooth. Spread over cake mix layer. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares.
32 servings

Thank you Stacey for sharing this recipe with me...you know how I loves me some chess bars!

1 comment:

Kristiem10 said...

yum! You have been tagged. Check out the rules at my blog:

http://lifewithmyxmen.blogspot.com/