Monday, January 7, 2008

Laziness has set in, but I still have crafty goals!

Well it's been a couple weeks since the Christmas crafting frenzy and I haven't sat down at the sewing machine or picked up an embroidery needle since. I think I may have gone into crafty overload. As of late, I mostly think about sewing. And buy books and fabric and things to use to when I finally do sew. Like these books: And this one. It has some very nice quilts that are beyond my current skill level, but someday!!! Sadly there are also a few lame projects, but all the books seem to have at least one or two of those. Speaking of craft books...if you, like me, are a craft book junkie, you will totally relate to this post on Lovestitches!

I also ordered fabric, patterns, and charm pack from fatquartershop.com. Lovely selection of very cottagey colors and prints. Very pretty and calming. Problem: I thought I was buying the right amount for a specific quilt pattern that I ordered. Turns out I didn't. Any recommendations for a quilt that uses 40 5" charm squares and 1 1/2 yards of fabric?

Even though I haven't done anything lately, I hope to be getting the new Janome(Christmas gift from Mark) out of the box. Soon.

I do have some things in mind that I'd like to make. Goals, if you will, for the upcoming year as far as my sewing/creating goes. In no particular order I would like to:
  • Finish the quilt I started in quilt class.
  • Make at least two or three more quilts.
  • Finish a vacation scrapbook album that I meant to start but never did!
  • Make a ragdoll. I am obsessed with this one. Must. Make. Ragdoll.
  • Make a skirt or some other type of clothing.
  • Make a skirt or some other type of clothing that I would actually wear outside of the house...not just in the yard or to the garage, either.
  • Continue learning to become a better cook. I have to approach cooking in the same way I do crafts--as creating something or learning something new or I just won't do it.
  • Learn to crochet
  • Make jewelry again.
  • Make at least one project from this book that I HAD to have.
  • Open an Etsy shop with things in it that people would buy! Two of you have nudged me in that direction, and I'd like to at least give it a try. Must improve in my skills first! You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Sorry for that! It's off the topic but certain words and phrases pop up and I am COMPELLED to quote movies, TV and certain comedians. I also repeat things said in interesting accents. My sister has the same strange disease, as does my brother, just not as severe.
There you have it. My list of creative goals for the year. I think it's mostly doable. Time will tell! So, what, if any, are your creative and crafty goals for 2008?

Now, I suppose if I'm going to accomplish any of this, I better get my hind-end in gear, huh? Off to the sewing machine with me!

Later, Ya'll!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I didn't hardly make stuff for anyone for Christmas but with all the craft fair stitching in Nov/Dec I am so unmotivated to sew/embroider right now. I actually unfinished projects and I NEVER let it get that bad!
But I am so with you on the ragdoll thing, I have wanted to make one for months, it can't be that hard!

Anonymous said...

OMG !!! Look at your "to-do-list".
My mind boggles. I have so many ideas in my head too that i'm too frightened to write them down.
As for the quilt, sorry can't help too much.
I have one to make that uses 2 x Charm packs.
Hope someone else can help.

Kellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oohlala, I love that fabric! Wish I knew what to recommend. I don't know, other than a baby quilt. It's sure yummy looking, though!

You got a new Janome??? Color me jealous!

I can't WAIT to see what you make out of your crazy "stupid sock creatures" book! I've been wanting to make one of those old timey sock monkeys for a long time....but they look wwwaaayy too hard. The cover of your book makes me laugh!

You can totally accomplish your goals. You're multi-talented!!